Saturday, August 05, 2006

Chicken & Ribs. Perfection

So, today I had to cook the chicken breast in the fridge, or it would've been wasted, so I fired up my favorite smoker. This time, I used a wet BBQ sauce instead of my usual dry rub. The beauty of slow-smoked BBQ is that you can apply the sauce right away to the meat, and just put a fresh coat on about every 30-45 minutes. The end result is extremely flavorful. The outside meat is glazed over with sauce, and the inside is smoked and tasty.
(One of my biggest pet peeves about cooking chicken breast other ways is that the inside of the chicken doesn't get any of the flavor. I'm not a big fan of the 'natural' taste of chicken, so if it isn't flavored somehow, it's a tough sell.)
-------------------
I couldn't let the smoker sit idle, so I tried the same technique on 2 racks of ribs for dinner. The smoker was already at optimum temperature, and the fire was going along great, so I thought it would be a good time to face my one BBQ-ing nemesis - pork ribs.

The last time I tried ribs, I didn't know the proper way to dress them like you get in the restaurants. Check out this page for a complete understanding. You actually have to throw out quite a bit of what you buy, but what you cut off isn't worth eating.

You can also cheat, like I did this time, and get the supermarket to do it for you.

Anyway, I cooked the ribs for a little over 2 hours. Halfway through, I turned and slathered them with more sauce. Absolute perfection.

Chicken and potato salad for lunch. Ribs and beans for dinner. Now I know for sure my tummy is alllllllllll better. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home